Monday, February 10, 2014

Valentine Linzer Cookies - Combo Pack Style

Valentine Linzer Cookie - Easy Life Meal & Party PlanningI didn't start out making Linzer cookies although it was on my "maybe" list. What I originally made was some decadent brownies with mini chocolate chips and marshmallows - yummm (soon to be posted). And then my husband walked in the kitchen looking like I had just taken all his toys away because I didn't make him something (non-chocolate)! So I say to myself, "I could make the Linzer cookies which he loves and it is the Valentine holiday (almost) and I don't really feel like it and it means this will run right into making supper, i.e., all afternoon in the kitchen". Hmm, do I make him happy or do I make me happy because I am just fine with the decadent brownies. Well as you can see I caved!


Valentine Linzer Cookie - Easy Life Meal & Party PlanningI have to admit that Linzer cookies are a lot of fun to make and I made them in record time well it looked that way initially. Before I started putting the cherry jam in the middle he walked back into the kitchen and said he would like a "combo pack". A what? You know, take all of the jams in the frig and make different ones - okay.... So actually we have Linzer cookies filled with cherry, blueberry and raspberry jams - wallah "combo pack".


Valentine Linzer Cookie - Easy Life Meal & Party PlanningAll I can say is Spring and warm weather cannot arrive soon enough! I love togetherness but enough is enough! We have been snow and cold bound for weeks on end and now we are in between football and racing season which just leaves xbox and eating! Yah, yah, yah I know this is suppose to be the romantic time of the year! I'm acting like the Cupid Grinch.
Linzer cookies are so pretty and they are a great cookie for any holiday!! A soft sugar cookie with fruit flavored preserves or jams is just a winning combination. The bonus is they may look difficult but they are really easy to make.

Valentine Linzer Cookie - Easy Life Meal & Party Planning



Valentine Linzer Cookie Cutter
Wilton 6" Valentine Linzer Cookie Cutter 

Print Recipe

Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon salt
Preserves
Confectioner or granulated sugar (optional)
Frosting (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Beat in egg and extracts and mix well. Combine flour and salt; add to butter mixture and beat until well blended.

On a floured surface, roll out dough 1/4 inch thick. Dip cutter in flour and cut half of the dough with heart cutter and place heart shaped pieces on ungreased cookie sheet.

Dip detailed cutter in flour and cut remaining dough; transfer to second baking sheet.

Bake each cookie sheet separately in oven for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes and then remove to a cooling rack and cool completely. Spread whole cookies with strawberry preserves and top with detailed cookie. Gently press together.

If desired you can lightly dust with confectioner's powder or you can sprinkle cookies with granulated sugar prior to baking. I sugared prior to baking and then piped frosting around the edges.

Authored by +Terri Henkels

Never Miss a Post!!! Subscribe to Easy Life Meal and Party Planning by Email

FOLLOW & SHARE


 photo facebook_zps9fdec939.png  photo twitter_zps4cfc7d44.png  photo rss_zpsebb9d4b3.png http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/tlsplanners/Picture4_zps0a3cdc35.png

No comments:

Post a Comment